Setting the motor data
Prior to commissioning, the motor controller requires a number of values from the motor data sheet.
- Number of pole pairs: Object 2030h:00h (pole pair count) The number of motor pole pairs is to be entered here. With a stepper motor, the number of pole pairs is calculated using the step angle, e.g., 1.8° = 50 pole pairs, 0.9° = 100 pole pairs (see step angle in motor data sheet). With BLDC motors, the number of pole pairs is specified directly in the motor data sheet.
- Setting the motor current / motor type:
- Stepper motor only: Object 2031h:00h: Rated current (bipolar) in mA (see motor data sheet)
- BLDC motor only:
- Object 2031h:00h Peak current in mA (see motor data sheet)
- Object 203Bh:01h Rated current in mA (see motor data sheet)
- Object 203Bh:02h Maximum duration of the peak current in ms (for initial commissioning, a value of 100 ms is recommended; this value is to be adapted later to the specific application).
- Object 3202h:00h (Motor Drive Submode Select): Defines motor type BLDC: 00000041h
- Motor with encoder: Object 2059h:00h (Encoder Configuration): Depending on the encoder version, one of the following values is to be entered (see motor data sheet):
- Supply voltage 5V, differential: 00000000h
- Supply voltage 5V, single-ended: 00000002h
Motor with brake: Object 3202h:00h (Motor Drive Submode Select): The brake control is activated for the initial commissioning. Depending on the specific application, this configuration can be deactivated later if necessary. One of the following values is to be entered depending on the motor type:
- Stepper motor, brake control (and current reduction while at standstill) activated: 0000000Ch
- BLDC motor, brake control activated: 00000044h
Due to the sine commutation and the sinusoidal current flow, the current of a motor winding can achieve an alternating current value that is briefly greater (by max. √2 times) than the set current.
At especially slow speeds or while at a standstill with full load, one of the windings can therefore be supplied with overcurrent for a longer period of time. Take this into account when dimensioning the motor and select a motor with larger torque reserve if necessary if required by the application.