SMCI47-S - Closed-Loop Motor Controller for Stepper Motors
In addition to the many features of the SMCI47 stepper motor controller, the new SMCI47-S variant offers two important technological innovations:
1. Closed loop current control (sinusoidal commutation via the encoder): In contrast to conventional stepper motor controllers where only the motor is actuated or the position is readjusted via the encoder, sinusoidal commutation controls the stator magnetic field via the encoder as in a servo motor. In this operating mode, the stepper motor acts as nothing other than a high pole servo motor, i.e. the classic stepper motor noises and resonances vanish. As the current is controlled, the motor can no longer lose any steps up to its maximum torque. If the motor controller sees that the rotor is falling behind the stator field due to overload, readjustments are made by optimizing the field angle and increasing the current. In the opposite case, i.e. if the rotor is running forward due to the torque, the current is automatically reduced by the motor controller so that current consumption and heat generation in the motor and driver are very much lower compared to normal controlled operation.
2. In the CANopen version, an optional 24-V logic supply is possible via the CAN bus. This allows the power to be switched off for reasons of operating safety, for example, if the user intervenes manually in the machine. Nevertheless, the processor can continue to run via the logic supply and the encoder signals, enabling identification of shifts of the axes by the user.
The demo application for the CANopen version functions with all CAN adapters from IXXAT or PEAK.
Please note: When the laptop you connect to our motor controller is plugged in, a USB isolator must be used to prevent damage to the motor controller. The USB isolator is not required when using battery power.
|Operating voltage||24 V to 48 VDC|
|Phase current||Nominal current 7.0 A, adjustable up to 10.5 A/phase|
|Interface||RS485 or CANopen|
|Operating type||RS485: position, speed, flag position, clock-direction, analog, joystickCANopen: position, homing mode, velocity mode, interpolated position mode, torque mode|
|Operating mode||1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/5, 1/8, 1/10, 1/32, 1/64, adaptive|
|Step frequency||0 to 50 kHz in clock-direction mode, 0 to 25 kHz in all other modes|
|Inputs||6 opto-coupler inputs (5 to 24 V)|
|Outputs||3 open collector, 30 V/2 A max., 1 output for brake, max. 1.5 A|
|Position monitoring||Automatic error correction up to 0.9°, only with encoder at RS485|
|Current reduction||Adjustable 0–100%|
|Protective circuit||Overvoltage, undervoltage and heat sink temperature >80°C|
|Temperature range||0 to + 40°C|
For current software and manual versions please have a look in the archive.
|CANopen Reference Manual V2.5||for NanoCAN 2.xxx|
|NanoCAN 18.104.22.168||for PD...-O41/-N... and SMCI...|
|NanoCAN EDS Files||for PD...-O41/-N... and SMCI...|
|NanoCAN User Manual V2.2||for NanoCAN 2.xxx|
|NanoJ Easy V1.04||all SMCI... and PD...-O41/-N..., except for PD4-C..., N5 and C..., Java based|
|Programming Manual V2.7||from Firmware 25.01.2013 for NanoJ Easy V1.04|
- Suppression circuit for overcoupling of 24-V control signals
Depending on the cable type, routing and length, an overcoupling onto the neighboring control line may occur with 24-V control signals. In motor controllers with wide range inputs (5–24V), this can cause a second input that is not activated to be recognized as high. To prevent this without having to change the wiring (which can be an involved process), the following suppression circuit can be provided at each input in use. Inputs that are not required can be connected directly to the motor controller ground.
- Switching of a load or PLC via the outputs of the motor controller/Plug & Drive motor
The motor controllers and Plug & Drive motors have open collector outputs. To switch a load or PLC, you require a relay according to this circuit diagram. The flyback diode is required. Please note the maximum switching current or the maximum voltage of the selected motor controller. You can find this information in the respective manual.
SMCI35: A load/PLC cannot be connected with this motor controller.
- The firmware update failed – no more communication
If communication is no longer possible with the motor controller or the motor after a failed firmware update, the firmware can be uploaded manually.
Firmware update for downloading: Firmwareupdate.zip
Please click on the respective product in the list below to download datasheets.
|ZK-SMCI-LD||Encoder Cable||$ 47.61|
|Z-K4700/50||Charging Capacitor||$ 4.72|
|ZCPHOFK-MC0,5-2||SMCI33 Power Supply / SMCI47 Brake||$ 2.19|
|ZCPHOFK-MC0,5-5||Connector for Encoder||$ 4.49|
|ZCPHOFKC-2,5HC-2||Power Supply||$ 2.19|
|ZCPHOFK-MC0,5-12||Connector for I/O||$ 9.09|
|ZCPHOFKC-2,5HC-4||Connector for Motor||$ 3.91|
|Type||Max. Operating Voltage||Current||Options||Price||Basket|
Click to open article details
SMCI47-S was added to the basket
For this article the following accessories are available:
Request an offer
Request an offer
if you want an offer, you first must log in or register. In the cart you can easily get a quote on your desired items by using the "Request an offer" button.
Here you will find a little guide.
Would you like a quote on larger quantities, please contact our customer support department.